The Chamba district is one of the twelve administrative districts of Himachal Pradesh. The Chamba district in the present form came in to existence on 1st November 1966 which is bounded on North-West by Jammu and Kashmir, on the North-East and East by Ladakh area of Jammu and Kashmir state and Lahaul and Bara-Bangal area of Himachal Pradesh, on the South-East and South by the District Kangra of Himachal Pradesh and Gurdaspur District of Punjab. The district is Situated between North latitude and East longitude. The North Eastern side of the district is surrounded by high altitude Himalayas with deep narrow valleys lying between ranges of varying elevations. The biggest river of the district is Ravi flowing from South-East to North-West entering the J&K. The district has experienced floods from the Ravi river in the past.
The area of the district is 6,528 sq. km with Chamba as its Headquarters.
Chamba has an ancient history, which is inseparable from that of the surrounding district of Chamba. The earliest rulers were Kolian tribes. In the 2nd century BC the Khasas and Audumbaras were in power in the region. In the 4th century AD during the Gupta period, the Thakurs and Ranas ruled. From the 7th century, the Gurjara Pratiharas or the Rajput dynasty came into power.
For Emergency Dial(Toll Free No.):
1077 -- District Emergency Operation Center (DEOC)
1070 -- State Emergency Operation Center (SEOC)
100 -- Police
108 -- Medical Emergency
101 -- Fire